Sunday, August 9, 2009
I'm not quite ready to say "Welcome Back to School," but I'm starting to feel summer vacation wind to a close. Our entire family is trying to go to bed sooner, wake up earlier, and appreciate every minute of our remaining vacation time. Somehow, knowing it will all end soon makes it so much more precious.
Peter has been reading a lot of science fiction and fantasy books, looking for the best one to introduce to his 8th graders. I just finished one of his recommendations... Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne Jones. Today, during the heat of the day, I hid out in my room for 4 hours so I could finish the book!
My daughters have been playing Spore on the computer. I've gotten attached to this game, too. When they aren't designing creatures they have been doing a lot of art (glue guns ROCK!). They've also be rereading The Lightening Thief series of books and the Harry Potter series.
I've been planning on having the girls review some of their math skills by visiting some of the websites on this blog. We've all become a bit rusty remembering our multiplication combinations, and being able to say "42" when you hear 7 x 6 would be a great way to start the academic year.
I look forward to reconnecting with all of my previous 4th graders and meeting my new classroom companions for the 2009-2010 school year!
7 x 9=
8 X 4=
3 x 7=
Monday, June 15, 2009
You can send me an email anytime at
I look forward to hearing from you!
Monday, May 11, 2009
1. Share your magazine with your adult. Show all of the work you did to plan and research for the final draft. Write at least one sticky-note complement and put it into a magazine.
2. Look through your portfolio with your adult. Share some of your greatest pieces of work. Use your writing/reading spirals to show how your writing has improved over the year. What are some things you are doing now that you didn’t do at the beginning of fourth grade? How have you grown as a writer?
3. Go to the kidney table and have your parent pick out a Quick Images card. Race to see who can build the image first. Repeat.
4. Go to the Living Science Stations and share some things you observed and learned about the animals. Share your Ecosystems Unit Folder, highlighting your favorite activities.
5. Have your parents fill out a parent survey form. When it has been turned in, come collect your Family Magazine and the DVD of your digital stories and the poetry recitation.
6. Want more? Go into our hovinenhomework.blogspot.com blog and let me know some things you and your adult liked about this year and some suggestions for change.
Wednesday, April 29, 2009
Please bring this completed table back tomorrow so you can use it as a planning tool for your contribution to Mrs. Benson's blog.
If you would like, you can do this school assignment at home. After you have completed the top of the homework, follow the link below to get to Ms. Benson's blog. The rest of the instructions for this activity are on the bottom half of your homework page and on Ms. Benson's blog.
Your plan is due in class tomorrow, even if you do the blog assignment at home tonight.
Have a good afternoon/evening!
Tuesday, April 28, 2009
I hope everyone is enjoying the magazine unit! I know I'm having a great time helping you out and watching your magazine grow. I'm also really having fun making my own magazine. Keep up the great work!
Monday, April 27, 2009
Many students are working on their Making Magazine unit at home. What could you do? Write up a series of questions, and then sit down and interview someone in your home! Have you read a book that relates to the main idea of your magazine in some way? Write a book review! Feeling especially creative? Write a Haiku about your main idea.
Here is a link to a page that can help you write your Haiku.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
I just ran across a reminder that we are going to have another author visit this year.
Phil Thomas will be at our school May 12th - day and evening. I'll be reading part of one of his books to you and he will spend some time with our class discussing his writing process.
Check out his website-
Tuesday, April 7, 2009
7 x 8 = 56 so 56 divided by 8 = 7.
If you need to review your multiplication and division combinations, please visit the multiplication.com link on the sidebar of this blog.
April 7, 2009
Dear Fourth Grade Falcons,
Two book orders were sent home today. These will be the last book orders of the year. You are under no obligation to purchase anything from these book orders. I have found, however, that they are a reasonable price and make great gifts (and they are great for stocking up your summer reading library!).
If you are ordering this month please:
1. Send the order form in by Friday, April 10. They will be mailed out promptly by lunchtime. I will accept orders any time before that.
2. Now you can order online and pay by credit card! Go to www.scholastic.com/parentordering and sign in. Our class user name is mrshovinensclass and our password is Fitz4H. I’ll hyperlink the website on the Hovinen Homework blog site.
3. If you want to order through me, make your check payable to Scholastic Book Clubs. You can write one check for all book orders. Any cash needs to be contained in an envelope or baggy.
4. Please make sure you have clearly filled out the form and have included your child’s name.
5. Notice that if you are joining one of the “clubs” you will need to fill out an additional form and you will be billed a monthly charge for an ongoing subscription.
Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Your book log is due on FRIDAY. Please continue reading at home and recording your title and time each evening.
Wednesday, March 4, 2009
Thursday, February 26, 2009
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Feel free to do your IDEA NOTEBOOK for extra credit.
Your book log and book response sheets are due on FRIDAY.
Book orders went home today. The deadline for ordering from these three orders is Monday. You can order online by following this link:
Our class user name is mrshovinensclass and our password is Fitz4H. This is the fastest, safest, and most efficient way to order from Scholastic.
Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Monday, February 23, 2009
If it asks you to register, just click "maybe later" and it will take you directly to the game.
I recommend starting with one of these games:
Fraction, Name, and Picture Match
Fraction and Picture Match
Equivilant Fractions and
Adding Fractions with Same Denominator
Your homework tonight is a two-sided math worksheet.
Your reading log is due on Friday.
Your book response is also due on Friday.
Friday, February 20, 2009
You received a new book log that starts today. Don't forget to record your title, author, and time.
You also have a short text with questions and a constructed response. This is due on Friday, but can be turned in any time next week.
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Thursday, February 12, 2009
Monday, February 9, 2009
You also have a spelling test tomorrow. Study your words.
Your book log is due on Thursday.
Don't forget to work on your Valentines. Our party will be Thursday morning.
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Monday, February 2, 2009
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
1. Free Choice in your Idea Notebook
2. One more day to study your spelling
3. Read! Your book log is due on Friday
4. Friday is also TIE DAY! Ask around for a tie to wear to school.
Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Your spelling test is tomorrow.
Your book log is due on Friday.
Want to practice some online time-telling activities? Follow these links:
Bang on Time
Read the Apple Clock
Stop the Clock
Drag the Hands
Monday, January 26, 2009
Friday, January 23, 2009
Your signed Friday note is due on Monday.
Your spelling test will be on Wednesday. Please study your words a little at a time.
I found another GREAT website with some fun math games that will review a lot of your fourth grade skills.
Thursday, January 22, 2009
Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Tuesday, January 20, 2009
The title of your page is INAUGURATION DAY.
You can be as creative in your entries as you like. Make a comic strip. Write a poem. Write trival questions (with the answers, of course). Describe the room we were in as we watched the swearing in. Imagine you are one of President Obama's daughters and write about your first day... I can't wait to see what you all create!
Friday, January 16, 2009
Tuesday is a very important day in our country's history. Do you know why?
Thursday, January 15, 2009
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
You received your constructed response homework today. It is due on Friday, along with this week's book log.
Tomorrow night is FAMILY MATH NIGHT! I look forward to seeing most of you there. Fourth grade will be making and sharing Oobleck with the school. Make sure you pick up your HOMEWORK PASS from me at the start of the evening.
Thursday, January 8, 2009
Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Book orders are due on Friday.
There will be a Mad Minutes test on Friday. (Study your combinations!)
Learn all the names of the states that border Colorado.
Our password is: Fitz4H
- ► 2016 (101)
- ► 2015 (148)
- ► 2014 (74)
- ► 2013 (94)
- ► 2012 (53)
- ► 2011 (27)
- ► April (6)
- ► February (13)
- Happy Thursday! Wear a tie tomorrow!
- Tuesday... Do you know what time it is?
- Let it SNOW!
- Have a great weekend.
- Idea Notebook Due Tomorrow!
- Fun facts about the White House
- Inauguration Day!
- No school on Monday!
- Field Trip Tomorrow!
- Early Release Day!
- Scholastic Book Order Form Due Friday