My name is Ty Ogborn, and I am a graduating senior in Open School’s Walkabout program. I have been doing my Global Awareness Passage on incarceration and criminal justice in the U.S. Because of over-incarceration, men and women in prison are deprived of opportunities to improve their lives. Many choose to begin rehabilitating in prison, turning their lives around through self-education. Books to Prisoners is a non-profit organization that provides them this opportunity by sending them free books. I am beginning a book drive to help this cause. The following books are the most popular among prisoners, and are always needed. Donated books must be paperback.
· Legal self help
· Spanish books (including Spanish-English dictionaries)
· Books on drawing instruction
· Game books (including chess, Sudoku, and role-playing manuals)
· Vocational education (welding, plumbing, carpentry, etc.)
· How-to books
· GED preparation books
· African-American non-fiction and fiction
· True crime
· Paperback fiction including thrillers, mysteries, science fiction, fantasy, westerns, and horror
· Books on the occult, aliens, conspiracy theories, and New Age
· Blank journals
If you have any of these books at home that you aren’t using, please consider making a donation. There will be a box outside the Open School’s office to drop off donated books. Thank you for your support.